A newborn baby completely changes your lifestyle. You become overtired, your house becomes a mess, and the days all merge together. Counting Down to a Newborn you can prepare for this all you want. Those who have been there before will know no amount of preparation will be enough.
Counting Down to a Newborn
Down Under Dad has been a bit quiet of late. Those who have been around for awhile would know that soon enough our little family of three will become a little bigger. You can read the original announcement here – When 3 becomes 4 .
The Down Under household has been busy lately getting ready for the arrival of Baby Number 2. That means making a list and checking off a little everyday – just kidding, you know you won’t be able to sleep properly until everything on the list is ticked off.
So as we’re busy Counting Down to a Newborn, here’s a bit of a checklist to get you started:
Counting Down to a Newborn Checklist
- Wash the Clothes – Whether its your first time around and you are trying to make sure you have taken the tags off everything, or you need to sort through all the boxes of clothes you kept from the first time. This can take awhile, but you better get used to it, Newborns go through a lot of clothes.
- Put the Capsule in the Car – My first time putting our baby capsule in the car took me close to 3 hours (rookie effort I know), by the time he grew out of it I could do it in 3 minutes. If you haven’t done it before or its been a couple of years, I suggest you do this early. I actually had to do it the first time in the rain as I’d left it too late. note, my wife and baby were in hospital at the time, I didn’t have the newborn in the rain.
- Pack the Hospital Bag – When its time to go, its time to go. You don’t want to be frantically trying to pack a bag when your partner is in labour. Pack it early, add to it as you see fit, then leave it near the door. What should you pack in a hospital bag? I’ll leave that one for the Mum blogs out there, but you can check out a pretty good list by Corryn over at Milk and Love here – Hospital Bag Checklist for New Mums . What should Dad’s pack? I’m working on that, watch this space.
- Clean your House – When counting down to a newborn this is probably the last thing you want to be doing as its not technically baby related. But trust me you want to do it. Your house is going to become messy for at least a few weeks, it happens to everyone, so you should make sure its clean to start off with. Sorry Dad’s this one’s on you, unless they recently added cleaning to the list of ways to induce labour.
- Spend Time Together – As your spending everyday focusing on whose about to arrive its important to make time for those who are already here. Don’t neglect each other. If you can make time for a Date Night or 2 , if you don’t make the time now, you aren’t going to have the time for at least a month or 2. Also, if you already have children, make time for them too, the attention they are used to is going to be cut down as soon as your newborn arrives so make sure they still feel involved.
Sit Back and Enjoy the Ride
As you get closer to Go Day and you finish Counting Down to a Newborn, its important to enjoy the journey. It’s been a long 9 months, but I can almost guarantee you wouldn’t change it. Even if you already have children, your lives are about to be changed again with the arrival of your newborn.
I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, there will be good days and tough days. There will be days where you feel like your going a little crazy, but there will also be days where you feel like you have it all sorted. The Good days always outnumber the Tough days.