All you have to do is open Google and search to find countless lists of what a Mum-to-be should pack in her bag for hospital, but what about Dads? I wanted to make sure we were ready to go so I started searching for a hospital bag checklist for dads. The information I was chasing wasn’t as readily available as I had hoped so I decided to put together my own list. After all this is a Dad Blog, so it should have advice useful for Dads!
Why Do you need a Hospital Bag checklist for Dads?
Those who have been following would know that the Down Under Family currently only has one toddler, however that is all about to change see – When 3 become 4 . While I like to think I learnt a lot the first time around, there are others out there with a lot more experience.
With that in mind I decided to reach out to the Dads on Twitter for some advice
Dads of twitter! My wife is busy packing her hospital bag for when our baby arrives. It has me thinking.
Should Dads pack a hospital bag? What should be included?
And better yet,
why should it be included?
Serious and Hilarious responses welcome!
— Down Under Dad (@DownUnderDadbg) September 29, 2018
While there were a mixed bag of responses, there was also a few common items which I agree with. So without dragging it on, here it is:
Down Under Dad’s – Hospital Bag Checklist for Dads
- Snacks – this is an obvious one, chances are you are going to be in the delivery room for an extended period of time, and you can’t exactly order room service (although that could be a good business idea?)
- A Pillow – Not only do you want to do everything you can to make your partner comfortable, but you need to look after yourself too. A simple pillow can make a big difference to your level of comfort.
- Chargers – Whether its a charger for your camera or your phone that will double as one you want to make sure you have it handy. The last thing you need is a flat battery because you have been playing games for most of the day.
- Comfy Clothes – While you may feel the need to dress fancy so you look nice in your first photos with your newborn, so one is going to be looking at you. So wear something comfortable, and make sure you pack a change of clothes too.
- The Push Present – they say it takes 2 to make a baby but lets face it, giving birth is a 1 sided job. Women go through a lot to bring a baby into the world so they deserve to be rewarded.
The list could go on, but here are some honorable mentions:
Gum or mints. Laboring mamas might yell at you if you step out for dinner and choose the burger with fried onions and then have the audacity to breathe near her.
— Stephanie (@SitDownPee) September 30, 2018
Yes! Don’t forget your underwear…my husband forgot and we had an extended stay and MY mom had to bring him his underwear. So yeah. Pack underwear.
— 🎃Marissa 🎃 (@natsmama75) September 30, 2018
Our first her here in 8 week. This is the best thread ever! I can offer zero advice though, sorry. Apparently, cold beers and a PlayStation aren’t the done thing.
— Phil (@PhilBolgertweet) September 30, 2018
So there you have it, while there is plenty of lists for Mum’s available online, there is finally a hospital bag checklist for dad’s.